1) Could you repeat that slowly, please?
2) I’m sorry, could you repeat that again, just one word at a time?
3) Look, I apologise most humbly, but could you possibly break that down into syllables for me?
4) I’m afraid I missed the lessons at school on listening comprehension. Would it be too much trouble for you write that last sentence down on my handy note pad, please?
5) I can’t quite make out this letter. Is it an “r”* or an “l”?
6) How interesting! Does everyone in this country write in this extraordinary way?
7) You’re not bilingual by any chance, are you?
8) So when you said nine o’clock, you actually meant nine o’clock?
9) What do you mean the cars won’t stop if I just step out into the road?
10) Didn’t your mother ever teach you how to make proper coffee?
11) What time does the sun come out?
12) You call that a bathroom?
13) How much??!! You realise I don’t want to buy the train, just travel on it?
14) If I lend you my sister, will you show me the way to Piccadilly Circus**?
* pronounced “aaah”!!!
** pronounced... anzi, lasciamo perdere.